market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Winter's coming -- Hoophouses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Winter's coming -- Hoophouses
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:10:07 -0400

On 11-09-25 08:28 PM, Richard Stewart wrote:
> We've stopped planting carrots and beets.

Do you mean you do not do beets and carrots in hoophouse for harvesting
late fall and winter anymore? If that's the case, why? What have been
your experience?

I am asking because Coleman raves about growing carrots in hoophouse for
winter harvesting. I've got no experience doing it, but it does seems
like a long shot to me given how slow carrots are in the spring when the
temps are low. I guess you really need to sow them early enough so that
they get enough growth before it does get cold.