market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Winter's coming -- Hoophouses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Winter's coming -- Hoophouses
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:01:02 -0400

We are not planting for hoops this year and taking winter off with the exception of selling honey, grains, garlic, and herbs and spices.   We are looking into renting greenhouse space closer to downtown Cincinnati with the hopes that we can do some experimentation with micros.  We have about 1 year exactly before I can start breaking ground on our hillside greenhouses.

As we are planting outside still carrots and beats are simply too long.  We are growing dense beds of micro beets for salad mixes, but the only crop that is being planted are greens and radishes now.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855