market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse heating

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse heating
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 06:53:28 -0500

First, my reading on heated  floors (in books 30 years old) is that they will not be able to supply the
entire heat load of a greenhouse.

My experience here is in a central boiler which heated water that was pumped through
3 buildings, heated with fin pipe vs radient slab.( I built and ran  the entire system, with the only
pro help being the welder I hired the do the boiler tubes) I trust the cold return water would
be of someof the same causes; mostly lack of proper circulation. The wad of cool water that is in the
pipe when heat is called for should pass quickly into the boiler, and the difference in temp
between supply and return should be slight.

Perhaps we can investigate why this did not happen. Hopefully others will join in!

How were you heating the water? How much water does it hold? What size burner?

What do  you have for pumps in the heat loops? Do you have a widget on each line to let the air out?

Did you open each line at the return end and pump out several gallons of water to make sure you had
the lines purged of air and that there was proper circulation.

MAsteveINE

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I had 6 runs of 125 ft of pipe.  There was around a 50 degree drop on
the return line.  I even dug down to the pipe and it was cold to the
touch.  If it's that much of a heat sink to heat my 21 x 30 HT I might
have to just use my water to air exchanger and heat a small portion of
my HT like I have done all winter and forget about in-floor heat.  I
really don't want to put in a bigger pump because I'm afraid I would
have to do way too much replumbing.

Jake