market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ineffective market saga...suggestions? (long)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Carol Childress" <weaver01 AT semo.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ineffective market saga...suggestions? (long)
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 19:56:31 -0600

Title: [Market-farming] Ineffective market saga...suggestions? (long)

Sounds like a mess.  I am an Administrator for a small non-profit and I work for non-profits setting up by-laws, doing focus groups etc.  And I can make a couple of suggestions that I am sure others may have more along the same lines.  First off I would decide if I could make money like it is. If so don’t mess with the can of worms.  Yes the boards should have open meetings (sunshine laws)  unless it is about employees then they close the meeting.   As a member if it is a membership organization your by-laws should reflect a membership voting option,  you may just be a straight non- profit with a board.  Anyway the by-laws should say this, get a copy.  From what you said I would suspect that the farmers market was a “project” of this non-profit.  They should have filed 990’s with the IRs and you can see where their money goes, there just may not be any money there to do the other things http://foundationcenter.org/findfunders/990finder/.  You might consider doing some of your own marketing maybe a group of you to share costs.  I have to admit with everything you have told me you are going to be very busy and like I said that may be better to wait and see what happens.  On behalf of your stress levels I can seriously suggest thinking this over big time.   Carol