market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ineffective market saga...suggestions? (long)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ineffective market saga...suggestions? (long)
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:22:13 -0500

> Okay--so....terrible board in every sense of the word. What can be
> done about it? My choices seem to be:
>

> 2. Stage a coup.
I think this has some potential to succeed, IF there are bylaws that clearly
state the procedures for elections, recall, etc, IF you can garner enough
support to ensure a quick turnover, and IF you have several people willing to
run and take over. Bylaws are meant to ensure institutional stability beyond
the
whims of the founders; put them to work for you and the other members of the
market, and the town. I think this strategy may be better than starting your
own
market--most people not close to the politics of it may get confused about a
second market, and as long as the first continues to exist, it will be a thorn
in your side.

> 5. Skip the market theatrics altogether and shift to a total U-Pick
> operation....The problem
> with this solution is that I'm such a "fixer" and I believe so
> strongly in the need for a good market here in my community--for
> selfish reasons as well as for virtuous reasons.

I once heard an experienced market farmer say the only reason for going to
farmer's markets was to drive traffic to your farmstand. Considering the time
and hassle of moving all your produce, even without the political hassles of
your present situation, that seems like good advice. I agree there are social
benefits of good markets, and I think that is worth something. But unless
staging a coup is a fight you are up for, this may be the better option. my
$0.02.

Richard Robinson
www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
Hopestill Farm