market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Any demand at market for fresh soybeans?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Any demand at market for fresh soybeans?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 18:32:48 -0500

I find there is some market for them, though not a lot of it, in this area; which is pretty rural. Customers who like them really like them, though, and start asking for them before we've got them. I'd suggest you start small and see what happens in your area.

We sell them in the pods but off the plant; they're easier to handle without messing with the whole plant, and I find that sometimes they're not all ready at once. We don't shell them -- just tell customers to boil them 7 to 10 minutes right in the pods, and then they'll squeeze out easily.

I've had trouble timing plantings, though, because varieties that if planted at the same time in one year come in two weeks apart may be ready almost simultaneously in another year.