market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Any demand at market for fresh soybeans?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "stonecirclefarm tds.net" <stonecirclefarm AT tds.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Any demand at market for fresh soybeans?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:29:10 -0600

Selling edamame on the branch is the traditional way to offer them in Japan (edamame means "branch bean").  I've always felt people would appreciate the convenience of having them pre-picked and so I do it that way most of the time and charge accordingly because they take so long to harvest.  Harvest is more pleasant if you pull up the plants and then sit in the shade.  I did a variety trial this year and found great discrepancies across varieties in terms of yield and percentage of 2 and 3 bean pods.  Varieties with a greater percentage of 3-bean pods included Tohya and White Lion.

-John