market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Umbrella insurance policy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Umbrella insurance policy
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 08:51:29 -0500

I think that what's covered by what type of policy varies from state to state and also may vary among policy writers in each state.

My original farmowners' policy covers standard household insurance, farm buildings and equipment, upick, produce sales liability for sales both on the farm and off the farm, including at market; but I had to get a business policy in addition when I needed to be able to name third parties on the policy (such as the owners of the property a farmers' market is held on).

So you need to check the fine print in the options actually available to you in your particular location; describe in detail what you're doing, and make sure all aspects of your operation are covered.