market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cold Frame Advice Sought

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cold Frame Advice Sought
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 12:42:35 -0600

There are so many variables on this, but a very good OLD explanation is in the American Gardener's Calender by Bernard McMahon.  Yup, it was published in 1806 but cold frames etc using manure heat were much more common.  Old Bossy Bernie's got the system set up by months and for nearly everything that you might want to grow.  (I have to use this book as a reference in my work with historical gardening, but I'm always amazed how often we reinvent the wheel.  For soft technology techniques, Mr. McMahon rocks. Yes.  I am a garden geek)
The book is quite readable.  Other-more contemporary-methods can be found in the Mother Earth News archives also.
Shawnee,zone 5