market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Keeping the heat in a high tunnel

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Keeping the heat in a high tunnel
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 12:51:11 -0600

I have tweaked the mulch color in high tunnels...straw for reflection, black for absorption.  Depends on the ventilation/heat gain during a sunny day.  I try to collect hard data on what's changing and when and then make decisions.  A minimum/maximum thermometer-a soil thermometer etc. I think that soil thermometer is essential inside and outside the house-takes your mind where your body can't go.
Shawnee, zone 5