market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] "Market Money"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] "Market Money"
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:44:19 -0600

SO! Apparently you guys don't have anything to do on Saturday
mornings?

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 11:13:49AM -0600, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> Mark is your market a Texas certified farmers market?
> If so the Texas WIC program works the same way. They have WIC cards that
> can
> only be used at a Texas certified
> farmers market. I am sure Willie will have more information on this, he
> sells at the markets (I don't) I just know about it.

There is some state sanctioned organization that blesses the
associations that run farmers markets. That organization also offers
very attractively priced liability insurance for the markets. Once
blessed, a market can be eligible for the farmers market WIC program,
administered in Texas by the Texas Health Department. No farm
inspections are required. In fact, in recent years, the Health
Department has favored areas WITH peddlers in their markets. The
Health Department does attempt to insure that only eligible products
are sold for WIC coupons. And that those sales occur only at the
markets.

The people that redeem WIC coupons are typically not enthusiastic market
supporters. They are likely to favor foods than can be eaten out of
hand and do not require cooking.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 77 days 10 hours 34 minutes