market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] "Market Money"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Susan Houghton" <susangivingtree AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] "Market Money"
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 13:07:09 -0500

We started a whole new market in downtown Lansing in 2003. A small parking lot, 3 farmers to start. We used a neighborhood center to attract attention, to get the word out about how important locally grown food, minimally processed, yada...yada..

We involved local extension educators, who welcomed the extra venue for answering questions, getting in touch with "real" people.......etc.

One of the first things we accomplished was to have the ability to accept food stamps. The federal government was suprisingly cooperative........so we have "market money" distributed by an EBT machine, a special set up so that the food stamps can only be spent on food.

I understand there are now machines that work off wireless phone technology, expensive!, but doable. (think the machine is $175 for wireless type connections.)

Then we got local artisans to come. One group is the young people singing or playing instruments, schools have vied for a place to present plays, or skits, Someone/group is always at teh market.

It has become a middle of the week socail event.....way beyound the market itself.........

People in the neighborhoods put up signs in their yards (like the ones real estate agents use) telling when the market is, where it is,

Young people (14-16) help people carry things at the market. There is a childrens corner where someone reads food related books to young children, they have clay to play with, supervision while parents shop.

Last year (4 years into the market) we had 700 customers on a Wednesday PM from 2:30 to 6:30. Now the whole parking lot is "owned" by the farmer's market on Wednesday afternoon, we have a waiting list of farms, and 12 farmers are participating.

We formed a steering committee with farmers and consumers, and they all have input into what they need from the market. this year's plan for expansion includes a year round market (or as close as we can come). We limit the amount of produce that can be purchased and resold.....and then the market master keeps an eye on what is feasible.

Susan
Lansing MI

Our Farmers' Market has been going for several years now, but has always
suffered from poor participation. It's the old chicken and the egg
problem.
We need customers but they don't come because there's not enough variety
at
the Market and farmers don't come because there's not enough people to buy
their produce!!! So here's one idea to get people to come to the Market
and
keep coming back.
Thanks
TxBeeFarmer (Mark)