market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] "Market Money"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sue Wells" <farmersue AT hughes.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] "Market Money"
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 14:12:20 -0500

Last year, Vermont had 3 EBT/Debit card machines that were wireless. Cost
approx $1000 they said, for each machine, but also said they could maybe get
them cheaper. These machines could use the debit cards, but not credit
cards. I guess if they were only EBT machines, they would be cheaper. The
state bought these, and have gotten more for this year, as they worked well.
They also plan on sharing the ones they have with other Farmers Markets, so
there will more use out of these each week. The markets had wooden round
dollars made up. Using the EBT card, these wooden dollars were dispensed in
$1 each, while using the debit cards, $5 wooden dollars would be given out.
Change could be given back, after the purchase. There was a table set up at
the Markets and someone would run the machine and give out the wooden
dollars. That person would also do all the book keeping, or the Market
Manager. So, a customer would go around in the Market and decide what they
wanted, have the stuff weighed, etc, and then go to the table and get the
money that was needed. I do think there was a processing charge for the
debit cards. This all worked out very well. Those with the EBT cards could
get fresh local foods and benefited much better than buying in the regular
stores. There was a list of things the EBT card could be used for. We would
get reimbursed the following week.
Sue Wells
Vermont