market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Transplanting Wild Raspberry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joyce Paski <elderberrywine4u AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Transplanting Wild Raspberry
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 08:27:26 -0800 (PST)

Taste is always subjective, but I think the main differences between wild and domesticated raspberries are size, flavor, and susceptibility to disease.  I found a nice patch of wild raspberries on my place that I am cultivating.  I cut back the canes and dug up the roots (the whole clump at times) of several plants on a cloudy day last spring while the ground was wet and transplanted them right away, forming a couple of rows of berries in the same area where I found them (after working into the soil some peat moss, bone meal, some lime and alfalfa meal).  I watered them in well, and pretty much have left them alone.  As of last fall, everything looked alive.  The berries are under the trees in my woodlot so I guess you could call this an agroforestry experiment.  I did the same with some pasture gooseberries I found, and I am buying some black currants this spring that I will also plant this way.  I think wild plants are pretty tough so don't worry about moving them.  There's nothing wrong with learning by just doing!

JoyceP
Swamp Creek Farm
Zone 3

Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com> wrote:
Every year I harvest about a hundred pounds of wild black raspberries
around our farm. Last year wasn't the best because of drought and
because of the drought increased bird and animal consumption of the
berries.

This year I was thinking about digging some up and transplanting them
to a more manageable area. Having never transplanted or grown my own
raspberries, does anyone know a smart way of doing this. I am doing
a google search on it right now, but figured I'd throw out the
question. I'm unsure of the difference between wild and domesticated
varieties. SHould I cut them back then dig out the whole cluster or
do the propagate when divided?

Thanks!

Richard Stewart
rstewart AT zoomtown.com