market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Selling Live plants at a Farm Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Selling Live plants at a Farm Market
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 12:28:21 -0600

I guess I want to add to this discussion that all of our vegetable and
herb transplants are in 1801 cells (3.5 inch pots). We sell them singly
for a good reason. Vegetable transplants sell for $1.50 each, times 18
in a flat, $24.00. If we were selling six packs for even $2.00 (and at
our market they usually sell for 1.50) times 6 in a flat, $12.00.
Double the money for the space used in the greenhouse, in transport, etc
and not much more cost. And, most of our backyard growers don't want 6
of any one variety, they want 1 or 2 of several different varieties.
And, if folks bring us the pots back, we recycle them until they fall
apart. They fit in a standard 1020 flat, and we display them in that
flat on a custom built table that Paul designed that holds 18 flats at a
nice slant plus pots across a top member above. It knocks down flat and
goes up in about 3 minutes.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm