market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Selling Live plants at a Farm Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Selling Live plants at a Farm Market
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 14:56:30 -0600

We sell vegetable transplants, herbs in 1801 pots and various
decoratives, mixed bowls, tomato gardens, etc. Lots of profit in
plants.

We start everything from seed, our first ones are already in the plug
flats, but our first market is April 15th and we want some large plants
for bowls and planters by then. We plan on about a 6 week selling
season for vegetable transplants and seed every two weeks in preparation
for it so we always have new, nice plants to sell.

We transport on a 16' utility trailer with cattle sides that we cover
with a tarp. The tarp lasts about a year and has made a tremendous
difference in getting plants, cut flowers (and even vegetables when it
rains) to the market in great shape. We also leave our tables, signs,
chairs, ez-ups, etc in it all season.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm