market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Problem-Network and Multiply

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Old Timin'" <oldtimin AT williams-net.com>
  • To: <creationsoap AT boone.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Problem-Network and Multiply
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:22:33 -0500

Mike:All you small thinkers out there need to get over the fear of competition
and believe in what you do enough to realize that the value of the products
you either grow or process into value added items possess a quality level
that speaks for itself and will be recognized for its quality when the
people come to the market. Do whatever you can to get people coming out even
if you have to let farm stand owners and buy/sell people in to get it going.

Oldtimin;Boy did I learn this truth this past year. I had been doing a local market that was strictly producer only. I joined a brand new market that allowed resellers and can say that this new market surpassed the sales of the old market that has been going for 15+ years. Only 3 sale days at the new market last year were not better than my best day at the old one. I sell naturally grown heirloom vegetables, especially tomatoes. My prices were typically double that of the other vendors yet I had a great crowd at my tables. I will try to get the other market to allow resellers, at least that way when peaches come into season we will have them even if we don't have a grower.