market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Peat Pots for Transplanting and Parsnips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alliums" <garlicgrower AT green-logic.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Peat Pots for Transplanting and Parsnips
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:47:09 -0500

Hi, Folks!

Being in the heavy clay soils of Southeastern PA, I haven't found peat pots
to be worth the expense.

While it does take some time, I've found that making newspaper pots (cut
about 2 column of newsprint into a strip, wind it around an empty soup can,
seal with flour/water paste and let dry) is usually worth the effort for
plants that need some time to grow (tomatoes, squash, melons, etc)

For plants that will be transplanted quickly (cole crops, some flower), I
wash and re-use the plastic 6-packs -- they seem to dry out faster than the
newspaper pots, so I don't have fungi problems.

I can't get any root crop to transplant well - sprinkle and then thin if
necessary seems to work the best. Also, planting in late July seems to give
great fall crops (usually better than Spring for everything except carrots
which can really dry out) which unfortunately, does not help for parsnips.

Is it worth saving one's own seed for parsnips? If you have a parsnip
variety that is doing well, I would think that only 3 or 4 roots would give
you plenty of seed to sprinkle with wild abandon (parsnip seed doesn't keep
well at all) and not need to transplant, but I admit that I haven't saved
such seed myself.

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of