market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Peat Pots for Transplanting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Peat Pots for Transplanting
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 11:17:49 -0500

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:44:44 -0500, you wrote:

>Transplanting out in peat pots may not be the best choice if you have
>cool and/or clayey soils. I never had much luck with them, and use
>instead the plastic insert flats from which you remove the root ball
>entirely (and can then generally reuse the plastic cells). I have heard
>from others that the peat pots may be better in warm sandy soils, where
>they may break down faster and may help hold water near the plant; in
>soils like mine, the transplant's roots often seem to get trapped in
>them unless the pot's mostly ripped apart at planting, which seems to
>defeat the purpose.

This has been my experience with peat pots as well, and in
several places with different types of soil. I dislike them
intensely and don't use them at all anymore. I use the
plastic insert flats, as Rivka mentions.

Pat

-- Northern Pennsylvania
"The people can always be brought to the bidding of their
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they
are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack
of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works
the same in any country." Hermann Goering, Nuremberg Trials