market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Scales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robin & Steve Follette" <follette AT midmaine.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Scales
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:46:55 -0400

> to weight what???

Peas, green beans, tomatoes, etc.  Typical things going to farmers market.

> a certified scale costs.

mmmmm  I've looked online at a few that have been $700-$800.  I won't be getting one that expensive.

> There is a company that advertises in Growing for Market:  Southeastern
> Fixtures and Liquidators Inc, phone 334-741-0550.  They are used scales.
> They list is $480. and they advertise the price at $150.  I got one
> before they started advertising and it's great!

Thanks Marie.  I'll contact them.  $150-$200 is my price range.

> The state guy comes once a year and checks mine and puts a
> sticker on to show it has been tested.

We have to have them certified yearly here too.

>I bought that scale from GFM this year and I know it has more than paid for
>itself already and tomatoes aren't in yet!  Plus it saves me from some of
>the tedious bunching - I can just put a per pound price on produce.

It's the bunching and bagging I want to avoid.  Two weeks of that is enough.

> Scales must be identified as  legal for trade by the manufacturer and tested by
> your states weights and measures guy, you may have to pay an annual testing fee
> and will receive a certification sticker on your scale. In my state its illegal
> to use an uncertified scale.

It's illegal here too.  I imagine it would be in most states.

> I sell by the piece not by weight

If you're selling greens how do you deal with it?  I'm packaging in bags and not happy with it.  It will be a couple of weeks before I get my scales and get them certified.  I bag them, weigh them for my own info (nobody has asked how much in a bag yet) and then sell them by the bag.

Thank you all for the responses.  I'll be making calls this afternoon.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm, Maine