market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Poultry manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Poultry manure
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 21:07:17 -0500

I guess I should expand on this since someone might ask "what about the
water?"'

It is illegal to use hormones on poultry. Period.

No hormones are approved for the raising of turkeys or chickens. Period.

No escape clause. No loop holes. Period.

No looking the other way. No wink wink.

It is not done and hasn't been done for decades.

Many USDA meat inspectors think hormones are being used but they do not have the where with all to check. I mean, think, chicken slaughter lines are running at about 200 birds per minute. The bottom line for such operations is profit, not quality meat (and don't say the market takes care of it, people eat KFC chicken and McNuggets). If it gives a business an advantage and no ones looking... there are people and businesses that will do anything.

And since we're on this subject, corporate (and I'm sure a number of family farmers would do the same thing) concern is not safe wholesome meat but the bottom line (which is how it is unless the rules defining corporations -an unnatural human made construct - are rewritten to include something besides just making profits). That's one of the reasons, filth, the industry first chills the freshly slaughtered carcasses in a chlorine bath (it also increases bird weight - water -and the beef industry has been trying to get this stopped because it makes chicken appear cheaper per pound) then the finished carcasses are sprayed with 'food grade' tri sodium phosphate. yum yum.
Inspectors are now instructed not to pay attention to 'wholesomeness' issues like abscesses, lung disease, puss, and other bird diseases.

My wife says to look at the report about it on her webpage (www.citizen.org) called 'The Jungle'.