market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Poultry manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Poultry manure
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 14:24:42 -0600

Ken Bezilla wrote:
> We use turkey manure from a local farm. It's
> conventional/non-organic, but
> it's composted for a year before we get it. I've always assumed
> that most
> of the hormones/antibiotics get cooked out by the composting
> process... but
> we've been talking about whether to have some manure tested to be sure.
> Anyone know of a lab to use for testing for hormones/antibiotics?
> And, any
> thoughts in general on using poultry manure?

In terms of the quantity of hormones/antibiotics, it would be an incredibly
small amount in terms of the total mass. This gets into the area of
extremism in organic agriculture that I find difficult to accept as a
reasonable viewpoint.

The hormones used are often about the same as the natural hormones only in
much smaller doses than the living organism. And the antibiotics are
generally naturally occuring substances that are found in nature and then
used in higher concentrations for treatments.

I wonder if they can really detect, the specific hormones/antibiotics that
are used? I know that some come from different parts of the world, but often
come from the actinomycetes and other flora and fauna... in the natural
environment.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams