market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Poultry manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Poultry manure
  • Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 17:55:31 -0600

> In terms of the quantity of hormones/antibiotics, it would be an incredibly
> small amount in terms of the total mass. This gets into the area of
> extremism in organic agriculture that I find difficult to accept as a
> reasonable viewpoint.
Rick - there are quite valid studies done on both hormones and antibiotics
in the water systems that aren't being taken out by water treatment
facilities and have the potential to cause quite a lot of problems for
anyone drinking the water in terms of antibiotic resistance and estrogen in
young females and males.

Unless someone could say with certainty that antibiotics and hormones in a
manure have no effect on our produce (or those eating the produce) why take
a chance. Aren't we doing enough damage as it is?

To call this kind of concern extremism has a "Rush" twang to it.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas