market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Poultry manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "marc" <marc AT aculink.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Poultry manure
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 21:01:16 -0700

Nope.

We use the same hybrids the big boys use and actually have the same grow out
rates they do. No hormones and as organic as possible. We use NO antibiotics
so you'd think they'd do better than we but they don't. Ours get more
exercise and still get the same rate.

I doubt very many meat inspectors think hormones are being used. I suspect
that bit of data came from a pure or organic food web site or organization
who's interests are served by bad press. Anyway, WHY would anyone WANT
hormones. The damn things grow so fast they're half bald within two weeks of
hatching.

> That's
> one of the reasons, filth, the industry first chills the freshly
> slaughtered carcasses in a chlorine bath (it also increases bird
> weight - water -and the beef industry has been trying to get this
> stopped because it makes chicken appear cheaper per pound)

Nope.. The ice is to lower temps to screw over germs/bacteria. Hypochlorite
(chlorine is absolutely poisonous and NEVER used) is to disinfect and quick
chill. The birds do not soak long enough to get any extra weight that
matters. We soak our birds in the same ice/bleach/salt and have found no
increase in weight to care about or even notice.

The hypochlorite breaks down into chlorous and chloric acid like the
chlorine does. If you don't like acids then don't eat any more fruit or
vegetables and quit breathing. The carbon dioxide you breath partially turns
into carbonic acid. Lots of other acid stories if anyone's interested. Also
stay away from low pH water since it's ionic. That means NEVER stand out in
the rain.

They are withdrawn from antibiotics a certain time prior to shipment to
insure they are at a certain level or below before processing. It's the law.
It's also cheaper to raise them that way. If you have a serious infection I
bet you BEG for a shot of antibiotic. In a chicken you may get a trace.

> but the bottom line (which is how it is unless the rules
> defining corporations -an unnatural human made construct - are
> rewritten to include something besides just making profits).

Nope. A Corporation is as natural as poop. A Corporation is a tribe. A food
co-op is a corporate body. Sorry. Corporations are a collect of individuals
gathered together for a common goal. Bummer dude! Unions are corporate.
Churches are corporations. A corporation is a BODY formed for a certain well
defined purpose - even the boy scouts are a corporate body. Corpus is a
Latin word - look it up - ponder it over some organic broccoli or sumpthin'.
For the Canadian tribes have a Molson Gold. (Have Canadians done anything
else besides enslaving Frenchmen and MASSIVELY playing the Corporate welfare
game?)

> And since we're on this subject, corporate (and I'm sure a number of
> family farmers would do the same thing) concern is not safe wholesome
> meat

Oh My. Everyones a crook and out to poison the public. I guess it makes good
repeat customers. Maybe not. Feeling guilty??.

> Inspectors are now instructed not to pay attention to 'wholesomeness'
> issues like abscesses, lung disease, puss, and other bird diseases.

This is right out of the big farmer and slaughter house hater manual, all
editions. It is hard to find a filthy meat plant. I know - I used to be a
trucker and deliver and pick up from them. The big boys got crews that do
nothing but clean and disinfect and speak spanish.

Safe wholesome meat production is a function of the process you set up AND
how well you follow it. It's not JUST the corporate officers, managers,
superintendents, department heads who break the rules. It's the crooked
little guy who lefties think is so perfect. It buys votes I guess.

> then the
> finished carcasses are sprayed with 'food grade' tri sodium
> phosphate. yum yum.

It's a disinfection procedure for our safety. And your point is??

Marc Nameth