market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Poultry manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Poultry manure
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 14:17:50 -0600

Ken,

I do not know, but I would expect that more questions should be asked with
regard to the breakdown of the hormones and other chemicals in composting.
Something like if these biohazards do break down, what do they become and
are these components safe?

A similar argument I have with the industrial poultry industry is the
testing for hormones. Hormones used as growth enhancers in poultry have
been outlawed since 1957. Therefore the USDA don't regularly test for
hormones. My suspicions is that today's poultry has elevated levels of
hormones that have been selectively bred in the birds. This means they are
not administered so no one is looking for them in the food stream.

Washington University Hospital in St. Louis has some medical staff that
agree with this theory.

Rick H.