market-farming - Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:49:18 EDT

In a message dated 10/3/02 9:26:34 AM Central Daylight Time, mmaysen AT alltel.net writes:

While my research is limited in comparison to others on this list, I don't see how you can honestly evaluate these changes as  "positive" ?!

The only positive thing that is in our community is that the large corp farms got a lot larger in the last three years.

I have watched 25 of my neighbors sell their farms or just move somewhere else in the country so they can find work to feed their familys.  The industrialation of agriculture has no positive note.  Even the mid to large operators are going down this fall (1000-2000 acre operators) and are being gobbled up by the big corp's.  One example is the operator to my North is farming 16,000 acres and buying land everyday with public money's through the farm program and public stock.

I see nothing positive about the fact that our local school is losing 60 to 70 students per year, so they , the school board, has to go to the land owners that are left and get higher taxes every year just to stay even.

My 2 cents worth
Phil from Iowa