market-farming - Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Farr <rbfarr AT erols.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement
  • Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 09:30:31 -0400

Yes, Rick - I'd argue that the small dairy farm is still viable. And
would be more viable if the government would stop preventing farming.
For example, government regulations prevent the sale of raw milk. Read
Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions" to see why this is inherently
flawed. Raw milk - should you choose to drink it (I don't) - is what we
should be consuming. Same with raw milk cheese. Same with fresh
(unpasturized) apple cider.

The failure of the small farm is caused primarly by government support
for factory farms - and the spread of the capitalist system which seeks
to drive down prices while exploiting the land and the lower classes
(the three, of course, going hand-in-hand).

Of course, in order to stay viable in such an economy, the small farmer
must add value to his or her product - value that the factory farm
simply can't add. Grow organically. Grow specialty crops. Make a
value-added product or products (that's how we do it). Get to know your
customers. Invite them to your farm. Etc.

We also need a Right to Farm law - which would allow all farmers to sell
what they raise on their farm to the consumer - including meats which
were butchered on-site.

So, yes - the small farm viable? You bet.

--
Robert Farr
(540) 668-7160

* An organic farm producing hot sauce marinades, salsas,
mustards, and barbecue.
* Subscribe to our online newsletter at http://www.thechileman.com

* Check out this article about us from The Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/style/food/A8659-2001Jul17.html

* Open Houses and Farm Tours throughout the year. See web site for
details!