market-farming - Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 06:46:43 -0400

All that is needed is to teach them that they can have it by encouraging
their local small farming community and by creating outlets for their products.

I appreciate your optimism, Lawrence.

I would add that consumers, especially consumers of quality meats, need to work with local producers to create health regulations that work for the consumer instead of against him. In my WV county, for example, we are not allowed to slaughter anything on our farm (thinking fish, thinking chicken). We've also seen a recent attempt to 'outlaw' free-range chicken flocks in Virginia. (They spread disease to housed chickens...or so I here.) -Allan