market-farming - Re: packaging soft fruit for market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: packaging soft fruit for market
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:30:09 -0500

Regards to the list:

I, too, pick in the ice cream buckets and it seems to work well. My worst problem picking the black raspberries is the damned poison ivy! I have it now on my legs from the cat rubbing on me! The second worst problem is trying not to eat them all! The berries, I mean.

Adelman Fisher in KC has those berry containers. They have the plastic ones that look like open weave and the pressed board type ones. Their number is 816-842-4961. We have some of the green plastic ones that we put cherries in. I don't think they would hold the berries we've been getting - they're awfully small.

It may be dry enough to disk the strawberry patch this evening here. I'm hoping we can get the berries planted quickly. We will with that FANTASTIC transplanter! It's just getting the ground ready in time. I opened the box and the plants look just fine. We'll probably have to water them for quite a while. I don't think we'll take the time to make raised rows for them and that's a shame. Looks like all the tomatoes and other plants have lived through transplanting. My pole beans are about 4 inches high and the cucumbers are up - these are the seeds from Italy and they're looking great. There are a few little corn plants up. We planted Incredible this year because it did so well last year. Should be canning green beans by now!

This is the first year we've raised garlic. It's time ot harvest? What do you do with it to keep it good? I still have the scapes in the refrigerator - do you think it's too late to pickle them?

My baby turkeys are dying like flies. Only have 6 left and they just sit or stand around with their wings and heads down. The first two we hatched are really healthy - they're from a different source. The chicken house nests are almost full of setting hens. Some of the girls have been laying on the floor.

It has been a month since knee surgery and I swear, it's getting worse instead of better! Now, the other knee is hurting. I probably just need to go lie on a beach somewhere for a couple of weeks. That would fix it. I know! Fort Walton Beach! Or Destin! Yes.

Marie in Missouri