market-farming - planting strawberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: planting strawberries
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:01:55 -0700

From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>

Marie - just started planting the rest of the strawberries yesterday morning
and will finish this evening - I think they might be okay!

Hi all, I noticed that both Joan and Marie are planting strawberries now. You can tell I'm a real novice at strawberries when I say "I didn't know you could do that at this time of year!". All of my reference manuals, etc, say early spring and after August. Have you planted before at this time of year? What's the procedure you use? Do they handle the heat ok after planting? What is your heat like? How often do you irrigate after planting? Last year I planted after August, checked under the mulch this spring and found that we lost the 2 acres to winter. Brian thought I was nuts when I said "just turn em under" and walked away :'( What was left wasn't worth keeping. Jacqueline