market-farming - Re: packaging soft fruit for market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: packaging soft fruit for market
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:46:15 -0500

That's a great idea Marie - except we don't drink milk - maybe I can get one
of my kids to save cartons for me. Several years I took a cloth bag, about
the 10 x 12 size and pinned the handle to my shirt so that I could just pick
and drop the blackberries right in to the bag. Jacqueline, you could pin or
tie a mesh bag around your neck or waist.

I usually pick into the big buckets that 5 quarts of ice cream come in but
its easy to spill (ask how I know - all that work and it always spills on a
steep hillside) and it mashes the berries in the bottom because I just never
empty it soon enough. That's why I thought I'd discipline myself to pick
into the container this year - it will take a little longer but I think it
would be worth it to preserve the quality.

My blackberries are out in the most inaccessible places on the farm and can
be a challenge to pick - but I don't have to weed, prune, water - I just
have to find them every year since they move around.

I just got out the Monte pkg catalog and minimum order on the plastic pint
berry baskets is 1200 - That's probably several years worth. The chipboard
baskets only require 500 and have the authentic berry basket look which just
might be okay for our market, I'll just tack on the price.

Just checked my records from last year and I had berries on July 1 - so I
need to get out and scout for berries this week - but first I pull all my
garlic today! I love pulling garlic and the soil should be okay for it!

Marie - just started planting the rest of the strawberries yesterday morning
and will finish this evening - I think they might be okay!

joan
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas