market-farming - Re: packaging soft fruit for market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: packaging soft fruit for market
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 21:02:09 -0700

From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
Jacqueline - do you think the paperboard was absorbing the moisture from
your berries?

Hi Joan, yes we do feel that the paperboard was doing exactly that. We did not change anything else for market, other than that the weather was up by 3 degrees Celcius, and my pick was started 4 hours earlier than the previous market pick when the berries looked dull and old. So with warmer weather and earlier pick we had a better appearing berry anyways. I had picked the berries into several large family size margarine containers - the square ones that are about 12" long and 10" wide 2 1/2 inches high, it can fit 5 lbs just like an icecream bucket. It would have been nice to have something with a handle, so I was considering cutting some of my mesh bags into a purse shape - but that may be more of a pain in the butt!! Any ideas?