market-farming - Re: packaging soft fruit for market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Gary & Sarah Rowland" <hcf AT moment.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: packaging soft fruit for market
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:37:31 -0500

When we pick berries we pick straight into green plastic berry baskets in
cardboard flats. We sell the berries in the baskets, most of our customers
return the baskets and we reuse the flats until they fall apart. We find
berries deteriate more quickly the more they are handled. That goes for
both strawberries and blackberries. By the way we get $4.00 pint for both
strawberries and blackberries.

Sarah Rowland
Hairston Creek Farm
Burnet Texas