livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fwd:New Transporting Hay Regs

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <blademan25@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fwd:New Transporting Hay Regs
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:48:55 -0700 (PDT)

I must admit that I wish that they would change this
regulation in ONE way regarding this situation.

I would like to know what Herbicides are being used on
these hay fields. I have read about several farms
which have composted manures and used hay as a mulch -
only to have their crops destroyed from the herbicide
residue that has passed into the manure and remains
active through digestion and/or composting. There
needs to be specific regulations regarding these
horrible chemicals and a way to trace the movement of
these shipments.
All these hay shipments should be listed with the
pesticides and herbicides used in these crops. If
down the road - animals and or people become sick from
exposure / or crops damaged -there should be a way to
trace back to the originating hay farm so that the
farm and or chemical party can be held responsible for
the damage.