internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Replacement Cell Phone Battery Sources

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Childers.Paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Replacement Cell Phone Battery Sources
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 10:32:30 -0500

Brian said:

> At any rate, my primary advice is to pay a visit to your carrier's
nearest
> retail store. You may be able to upgrade the phone for less than the
cost
> of a new battery. (Of course under no circumstances should you buy
the
> battery from them...but $20 for a phone upgrade or $20 for a new
> battery?...)

The catch there, though, is that you almost always have to commit to a
new two-year service contract in order to get that "free" or "cheap"
phone. If you for some reason need to break that contract, you become
liable for their declared "full cost" of the phone (usually much more
than if you'd just bought the phone from a direct vendor), as well as
cancellation fees, etc. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I prefer not being
bound by such a contract. Plus, can't you get excellent unlocked phones
on ebay for cheap?

FYI, there's a BatteriesPlus on 54 near Southpoint.

Paula