internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Replacement Cell Phone Battery Sources

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Brian Henning" <lugmail AT cheetah.dynip.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Replacement Cell Phone Battery Sources
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 19:08:08 -0500

> I don't understand why a cell phone would wear out though.

Who said wear out? I guess I may have implied it.. No, the battery
absolutely will wear out in, on average, three to four years; the chemical
structure inside breaks down and the battery loses its ability to store
energy. But the handset doesn't wear out (unless it just has some crap
components in it); it goes obsolete. Sometimes it's just a feature-creep
sort of obsolescence (this old phone doesn't take pictures!); sometimes it's
a more technical reason (this old phone doesn't speak the new wireless
"language" that the new phones speak, and the carriers are using).

At any rate, my primary advice is to pay a visit to your carrier's nearest
retail store. You may be able to upgrade the phone for less than the cost
of a new battery. (Of course under no circumstances should you buy the
battery from them...but $20 for a phone upgrade or $20 for a new
battery?...)

Cheers,
~Brian