internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] loyalty [was: Sure is quiet, innit?]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] loyalty [was: Sure is quiet, innit?]
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 09:08:35 -0800

On Mar 6, 2008, at 7:01 AM, Greg Brown wrote:

I think as long as there is a "new market" jobs can be shipped to
(India, etc.), companies will continue to treat their workers like dirt.

Smart companies treat their people right. I've not run into very many
smart companies.

--[Lance]

Well, I think that is true for public companies especially. The company exists because of and for the shareholders, not the employees. It sucks, it really does, but that is the way business is run. If a public company doesn't gain every market advantage over it's competitors the bottom line will suffer, the shareholders will get angry and the board will be voted out in favor of a board that will send jobs overseas, etc.

Don't think for a second that things are any better in the university sector. (Maybe if you are a tenured professor, but there are 1,000+ other wage slaves who don't get that royal treatment.) From Greg's paragraph above, just replace 'shareholders' with 'students' and 'market advantage' with 'whatever the students and their parents are bitching about' and you have the exact same scenario.