internetworkers - [internetworkers] loyalty [was: Sure is quiet, innit?]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] loyalty [was: Sure is quiet, innit?]
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 20:00:08 -0500

Lance A. Brown wrote:
Lyman Green wrote:
I guess this is what they get for loyalty and long hours.

Heh. I've not worked for *ANY* company that engendered my loyalty at any point in my professional career in IT. None. It's a crying shame.

My father is justifiably proud that he was able to start working for a firm before he completed is civil engineering degree and retired from that same company 39 years later. There were ups and downs but Wells Concrete Products took care of Dad and he took care of them. That kind of company/worker loyalty just flat out doesn't exist anymore, anywhere.

I think you'll see it come back eventually. This short-sighted approach
to business that has become so common place can't sustain itself forever. I believe that as the world economy becomes even *more* competitive that companies will have to return to the approach of
developing a real relationship with their employees and having that
two way commitment / loyalty to be really successful.

Now maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but if I'm ever
in a position to launch the company I want to launch, I hope
to try and put those principles into practice. It's the old
saw about "if you can't find the company you want to work for, start it." :-)

TTYL,

--
Phillip Rhodes
Chief Architect - OpenQabal