internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Triangle Last-Mile Cooperative

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Triangle Last-Mile Cooperative
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 18:17:51 -0400

Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> Have you guys thought of asking the city or county officials in your
> area how it might be done? It could be that one of them will meet with
> you and knows of just how to do it legally and might even be connected
> to a source of funding.

Finally, something Andy and I can agree on. I think that a cooperative
of this nature would benefit from working *with* the existing LocalGov
especially in the beginning phases. Heck, I'd even be OK with the idea
of LocalGov providing some taxpayer provided initial funding to get the
thing kicked-off, as long as the long-term plan was for the entity
to operate in a non tax-subsidized fashion.

It might not hurt to talk to people with existing cooperatives - both
inside and outside of NC - as well. NC is served by many rural utility
coops as it is, providing telephone, electricity and cable TV service.
And there was that one existing broadband coop that I linked
to before. No sense re-inventing the wheel.

TTYL,

Phil
begin:vcard
fn:Phillip Rhodes
n:Rhodes;Phillip
adr:;;P.O. Box 16905;Chapel Hill;NC;27516;USA
email;internet:mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk
tel;home:919-928-0236
url:http://www.linkedin.com/in/philliprhodes
version:2.1
end:vcard