internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] cell phone recommendations

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "tkarches AT imapmail.org" <tkarches AT imapmail.org>
  • To: scott AT scottboggsdesign.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] cell phone recommendations
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 12:18:50 -0500

scott AT scottboggsdesign.com wrote:
Hey folks,

My wife and I are about to leap into the twenty-first century and finally get cellphones. I don't need a phone with a lot of functionality, but would like one with good sound and an intuitive, reasonably well designed UI.

Can anyone recommend phones worth considering and also what providers do folks recommend (or not recommend)?

Probably more info than you want, but...

I really like the Nokia phones, and find the GUI to be among the best. I prefer the one piece (candybar) phones, though most seem to prefer flip phones. There are only a few Nokia flip phone models. I find the sound quality to be very good.

My current provider is Suncom. They have been fine. The biggest problem was that I had to unlock my old phone as the store personnel could not figure out how to do it. They are a regional carrier, so if you travel a lot, Cingular might be a better option.

The main reason I picked them is that the allow a phone to be added to a $39 plan, while Cingular required a $69 plan to add an additional line.

The advantage of choosing Suncom or Cingular, which provide GSM service, is that the account is locked to a removable SIM card, which can be switched between phones. Switching phones on your account with any other carrier must be done by the carrier, and they might charge you. Or just refuse.

Verizon has a habit of crippling their phones by turning off features that interfere with their revenue model. Like being able to transfer photos to your computer via Bluetooth or use your phone as a data modem via Bluetooth. Personally, I would avoid.

I know people who have Sprint, and like them. They have a reasonable unlimited data plan if that is important.

Some people think that a camera is silly and unnecessary, but I really like having one. It is great for catching candid photos of the kids and documenting stuff quickly that can be best described by a picture (wallpaper pattern, rug pattern, where I parked, merchandise with price, etc). The easiest way to get pictures off the phones is to have one with an memory card slot or Bluetooth.

If it matters, I think the Nokia takes the best pictures, considering the resolution (mine is 640x480). I have seen pictures from higher resolution camera phones that looked pretty bad. No camera phone is going to be as good as a standalone digital camera, though the Sony K700i comes close.

If you think you will be using it rarely, prepaid plans are reasonable, especially if you provide your own phone.

--Tom

--
Tom Karches
email : tkarches AT imapmail.org