internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] cell phone recommendations

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "tkarches AT imapmail.org" <tkarches AT imapmail.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] cell phone recommendations
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:51:54 -0500

jim AT neuse.net wrote:
I use Verizon and like the phones they provided for free. Me thinks it is LG VX8300. I’ve always trusted Motorola, too. I did not get the digital PDA phone thingie since I already have a perfectly functioning analog PDA that is wireless and doesn’t use batteries (Parker ball point pen and pad of paper).

Verizon has a reputation for crippling phone features to their benefit.

Like turning off Bluetooth to prevent you from transferring pictures to your Bluetooth equipped computer. It competes with Verizon's for-fee picture storage service. Or preventing use of a Bluetooth equipped phone as a data modem.

If you want a smartphone, Verizon may not let you have it without adding on an expensive data plan, even though smartphones have useful functionality even without internet access. This happened to my boss. He wanted a Motorola Q, but he could not get it without the data plan.

One way around the picture transferring problem is to get a phone that has an SD slot, then configure the phone to save pictures to the card.

As for phone preferences, I like Nokia "candybar" (not flip) phones. I fond their GUI to be the most intuitive. I still use my 4 year old Nokia 3650. My wife had a Sony-Ericsson T616 which I strongly disliked (and she finally broke). It took crappy pictures too.

--Tom

--
Tom Karches
email : tkarches AT imapmail.org