internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] blog, blogging, blogged

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Evan Zimmerman <evan.zimmerman AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] blog, blogging, blogged
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:37:32 -0400

I would say that in any group there are those that get carried away
with the idea more than others, and these mysterious "serious
bloggers" must be in that category. I don't think that they make up
any significant portion of bloggers though.

I don't know that many people take LJ users less seriously per se, but
there is at least one significant difference between LJ and everything
else -- LiveJournal tends to be inward looking.
Most other services have sites that are semi-independant with a
pseudo-domain name (blah.blogspot.com or blah.typepad.com etc..) that
gives at least the appearance of independence even though the backend
is probably similar.
LJ domains often look more akin to what they are -- a user space on a
shared server -- and the sites themselves often (not always) are
heavily interlinked with other LJ users, forcing traffic to circulate
inside LJ world more than it might otherwise. I don't consider this to
be a bad thing, but it is a difference. That kind of social aspect
also encourages a younger crowd, hence the reputation (perhaps
undeserved) of LJ as a common home of kids.

As to your question about hosts, you can go with a commercial service
like LJ but with additional features (and without the social linking
component), or you can go with a homebrew site using Moveable Type or
Wordpress etc. The latter require php and all that goodness, so you'd
need a new host in that case.
It's really a matter of taste, but based on what you've mentioned I'd
say your best bet might be to register a domain name all your own, but
use a hosted service like typepad or blogspot for the technical stuff.

Evan