internetworkers - Re: Domain and Web Hosting?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Josep Lluís Guallar Esteve <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Domain and Web Hosting?
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 23:32:35 +0000

A Dilluns 18 Desembre 2000 04:09 am, vàreu escriure:

> > My name is Josep and I'm new to the Triangle area. I just moved here from
> > Barcelona (Spain-Europe) to follow my career in the IT business.

> Hi, Josep - welcome to RTP.

Hi Steve. Thank you for the Southern hospitality.

> We host all our sites ourselves, on two servers co-located at Interlan
> (hence my answer to the earlier question), so I can't really say first
> hand what the low-end market is like right now. Prices range from
> $10/mo. to $250 or so, from what I hear on mailing lists, depending on
> what you want (UNIX? MS? what sort of toys? shell/ftp access? configurable
> email? Cold Fusion/ASP or PHP/mod_perl/etc.?)

I would prefer +nix over MS, with private ftp, e-mail redirection and PHP
over ASP if they let me decide.

> DNS registration is the worst part of the whole deal. I'd stay away
> from every registrar with the possible exceptions of register.com and
> joker.de. I've had nothing but trouble with totalnic (they suck) and
> NSI (pure evil posing as ignorance) and haven't used OpenSRS but hear
> good things. But I think saving $10 a year on domain name registration
> is a dubious savings indeed. I'd gladly pay $200/year just to avoid
> having to play phone wumpus[1] with NSI reps ever again...

They look like places to avoid...

> Pair does non-dedicated hosting, too. I know there are several INW
> folks using Pair, and it tends to be the host we recommend to folks we
> don't want to host ourselves (but who we want to be happy, anyway.)

I will check it all, I promisse. And after quite a few discussions, tons of
e-mails, delayed actions because it's holiday season and all that, an
agreement will be made.

> Steve

> [1] http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/wumpus.html

Are you into Linux? Me too. I've just joined TriLug.

Thank you very much. I like to have more than a single choice.

Regards,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve