homestead - [Homestead] Armed Protests Approved by local gov't

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Armed Protests Approved by local gov't
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:14:03 -0800 (PST)

http://www.alamogordonews.com/ci_14098821

Looks like some tea party groups are starting to merge with other protest
groups.  This one is sponsored by a tea party group and a second amendment
rights group.  There are a lot of people angry about a lot of different
issues, and it is inevitable they start to merge, IMO.

Just came back from another unplanned and unavoidable cross country trip.
When I was in Arkansas, I ran into a cross country trucker.  He related that
he has been a trucker for some 20 years and he's noticing a huge change.  He
said that people from all walks are really really angry.  Related that there
are tons of homeless families living in truck stops, kids and all, some in
tents, some in cars, some in campers.  Fathers looking at newspapers trying
to find work, mom's out panhandling.

Have to agree with this one, as every truck stop I stopped at for fuel,
either my passengers or I were approached by people begging for money, and
kids were in the cars right behind them.    That started a little bit when
fuel prices were high, but this is different.  In one truck stop with an all
you can eat resturant, we couldn't help but notice the large table of about 2
families sitting together --- there were 4 plates in front of each person
(many were little kids) - so we guessed they were stuffing their pockets with
food.

And from the weird side of observations, a black tank (yep a real tank!)
rolled down this rural road here a few weeks ago.  Nobody seems to know
anything about it.

Meanwhile, on the weather side, dang its been cold!  There was a ton of snow
here a couple days ago, and it finally finished melting.  I was in the
Chicago area also, and was hit by an ice storm, made for some great pictures,
but bad for driving in parking lots.  In N. TX there were hundreds of cars
off the road, and thick ice from the previous day (or two), not sure when the
roads got that thick ice.  First patch I hit on the interstate was pretty
thick, and luckily I had 2 left tires on pavement still.

>From don.bowen AT earthlink.net Thu Dec 31 17:01:27 2009
> Have to agree with this one, as every truck stop I stopped at for fuel,
> either my passengers or I were approached by people begging for money, and
> kids were in the cars right behind them.

I have to disagree. I have spent a lot of time in truck stops over the
last several months as they are usually easier to get the pickup and
trailer into for fuel. The pickup when towing goes about 200 miles on a
tank but my bladder travels considerably less distance so I also see a
lot of rest areas.

In mid September I left southern California for Missouri then in early
November headed for Asheville, NC. In Mid November I visited a cousin
in Virginia Beach, Virginia. In early December I returned to Missouri
then back to Southern California in mid December. This last week I
traveled to the Bay Area and back. I did more or less the same trip
last year. Many rest areas, truck stops, WalMarts, and gasoline
stations to sample.

I have seen people at all those locations, selling things, panhandling,
with signs asking for money, etc. But there has not been any real
increase over the last several years. The worst on several occasions
was Gallup NM at the WalMart. But there has been no significant
increase that I can tell.

One place a man approached me with a fuel pump in his hand and a sad
tale of being stranded on the freeway and needing money for a fuel
pump. I suggested to him that he smear some oil on the lever and keep
it renewed. It was dry and dusty from being hauled around in this
little gambit.

As for the tea party silliness, most of it is supported by corporate
deep pockets. I hope they keep it up because its greatest contribution
will be further destruction of the Repuginican party as long as they
support pin heads like Sarah Palin.

--
Don Bowen KI6DIU