homestead - Re: [Homestead] End of the American experiment, was cash for clunkers anyone?

  • From: Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] End of the American experiment, was cash for clunkers anyone?
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 20:19:21 -0500

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 6:16 PM, EarthNSky<erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I don't despise President Obama.  I'm glad you brought this up though.
> You obviously follow the foreign relations aspect of his presidency
> better than I do.  I know he has traveled a good bit over the last 7
> months or so.  Can you be specific about diplomatic gains he has made in
> his travels?

The main thing he's done is not treat Muslims and Europeans like
they're the Devil Incarnate. He treats them like they're human beings.
Which, of course, they are.

He's no angel -- Bagram Air Force base and unnamed black sites still
hold prisoners. So far as I can tell, torture is still going on to
some extent. However, he seems to be backing away from torture.

I don't know how the rest of you all feel, but I truly believe that
torture is not only illegal but also immoral and that it hurts the
torturer at least as much as it does the victims of torture. Abu Graib
resulted in the death of many Americans. Obama has at least stopped
that, but I fear he hasn't gone far enough.

Marie