homestead - Re: [Homestead] gypsum?

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <vdjor AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] gypsum?
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:12:10 -0400

Before you crush any wallboard up for your gardens, be very sure it is natural gypsum and not synthetic gypsum. Synthetic gypsum is a byproduct of the flue-gas desulfurization process used at coal-fired power plants. Synthetic gypsum contains not only the sulfur that was removed but also any other heavy metals and impurities that were in the coal and not combusted. I wouldn't put this stuff anywhere near my garden and question the wisdom of even building houses with it.

Wendy

Not sure if this is an answerable question or not!!
I've asked before and appreciated the information that old wall board would make a good soil amendment.. not sure how you would use that? Broken up and spread with a spreader? could just be placed out on ground or put into compost? Would you only place on clay like soils? Would it be a detriment to organic soils?
We have quite a bit of material from a demolition project. Trying to decide if we should haul out to land or pay environmental services to dump. We are now calculating costs of gasoline, small trailer 10 mile round trip, vs. dumpster fees etc. don't think it will pay us to create our own private landfill but if material can benefit land it might pay. Question came up because environmental service doesn't have a dumpster available for couple weeks.
Van Dell