homestead - Re: [Homestead] My real estate bias

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] My real estate bias
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:40:00 EST

(Gene)
> >Choose your expert.

Or rather, I'd say, BE your expert. Information is there enough to form
one's own conclusion and one needn't rely blindly on experts. (I know, Gene,
you
don't mean 'blindly') The problem with "experts" is that if you have a dog
in
a certain fight, you can always find and expert who will agree with you and
make you feel better about things, no matter how bad their track record.

(Don)
>> Like Global Warming, there are many writing from ignorance, self serving
> >positions, attempting to confuse rather than inform. You have to search
> >out those who are well informed and intend to inform. They are there but
> >need a little searching out.

There are a couple more measures I'd throw in additionally:

1) What's the track record of the expert? When Daniel Yergin predicted that
in 2005 oil would drop to $32/barrel and stay there for a decade and even
today he is ridiculed by reporting that oil currently sells for about 3
Yergins,
he is not a expert whose predicitions are to be taken seriously.

2) The expert's opinion should be tempered with logic and reality. Just
because a lot of people need and want housing doesn't mean they are going to
get
it. A lot of people need and want medical care, education, and the love of
their lives ..... alas, it doesn't mean they get those things though.
</HTML>