homestead - Re: [Homestead] Portable saw mill

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Portable saw mill
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:03:24 -0500

On Oct 3, 2007, at 8:57 AM, Don Bowen KI6DIU wrote:

At 10/3/2007, you wrote:

We could start with a modest mill, about five thousand dollars, I think.

The Alaskan starts around $500 plus a chainsaw where the Lucas can be as
high as $15,000 There a bunch of others in between.

Right. The chainsaw mills are modest in price and output. I will almost certainly get one of those. The big question is whether a Lucas, Norwood, TimberKing or other bandsaw mill makes sense. You probably don't remember that David Haenke has a swing blade mill. He has cut a lot of wood over the years. It can't make wide boards but he feels it is superior to the bandsaw mills because the bandsaws need frequent sharpening or replacement.