homestead - Re: [Homestead] Portable saw mill

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Portable saw mill
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 10:18:19 -0500

On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:08 AM, Don Bowen KI6DIU wrote:

do like his machine. Being able to turn small logs into water channels
seems like a very good idea.

V cut?

Bandsaw mills, especially lighter units, create less-perfect boards because the band blade is not rigid and when it encounters hard or soft grain or knots it tends to wander. The heavier blades of more expensive mills minimize this.

I very much like that with a swing blade mill the log stays in position while the mill is positioned for the cut you want. I am especially taken with the opportunity to create more quarter-sawn lumber, especially for furniture.

Yes, Van Dell, it is worth looking for a used unit. Also worth spending a day helping the owner cut wood.