homestead - Re: [Homestead] Portable saw mill

  • From: Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Portable saw mill
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:26:03 -0700

At 10/3/2007, you wrote:
V cut?

Yes. I saw several V-Cut pieces around and I believe you have some. A small Cedar cut in a V would make interesting rain gutters though I am not sure they would be workable for a rain harvesting system.

Bandsaw mills, especially lighter units, create less-perfect boards
because the band blade is not rigid and when it encounters hard or
soft grain or knots it tends to wander. The heavier blades of more
expensive mills minimize this.

Same as using a bandsaw for resawing. A good resaw blade is at least an inch wide and wider is better. I have always wanted an old Oliver bandsaw for resawing.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com